COOPER HIGH SCHOOL

1930-1970

In 1889, Quinton C. Mial and his wife Lillie began a school for blacks, later renamed William Mason Cooper High School, in honor of a leading black educator who was former principal at Johnston County Training School. Schools were fully integrated in 1969 and Cooper High was converted to a Junior High. It’s home today to Cooper Academy, a college prep, dual language elementary school.